Argyle Street Substation


The Rocks
Sydney Trains

Heritage re-roofing and restoration to the Rectifier Building including gutter, fascia and eaves repairs and extensive asbestos remediation. Situated immediately adjacent to Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Argyle Street Rectifier and Substation Buildings are landmark heritage listed properties managed by Sydney Trains which remain an integral component of the network, connected to the Prince Alfred Substation in the Sydney Yard at Central. In October 2012 RailCorp appointed Rapid Construction as Principal Contractor to manage the delivery of restoration and remediation works to the buildings. Built in 1925, the buildings originally supplied all the power requirements for the construction phase of the bridge; upon completion of the landmark in 1932 both buildings continued the supply and regulation of electrical power to the bridge railway infrastructure, a function which continues to the present day. Our work involved extensive remediation and restoration, including removal and disposal of asbestos eaves, installation of new fibreboard eaves, installation of lanyard fall protection devices for all tools and equipment, replacement of timber fascias and the complete renewal of brown terracotta roof tiles, sarking and ridge capping. The timber roof structure had also suffered due to termite activity in recent years so we augmented the structure with additional treated timber supports. We refurbished all box gutters and replaced down pipes and spreaders. Our personnel had to observe strict access and safety methodology protocols at all times as the 1500v DC electrical infrastructure inside and adjacent to the buildings is live at all times – our work was also in close proximity to the bridge bicycle path and the northern line up and down rail tracks on the western side of the bridge. Work proceeded on schedule despite regular unsuitable weather conditions and we completed and handed over early in December 2012. We are extremely proud of our heritage capabilities and our ongoing association with one of Sydney’s most well-known landmarks.